I had always struggled with frizzy hair. When steam flat irons were introduced, I hopped on them, and became my favorite companion. I tried many brands until I found the best steam flat iron for my African American hair.
But the thing is…
The problem with the brands I tried was that they were not durable and often did not live up to my expectations. And like most people, I wanted my money's worth. This led me to research the best steam flat irons available in the market and I came up with a list of 5 top steam flat irons for black or natural hair. Read on...
- Five Best Steam Flat Irons Review
- 1. MKBOO Professional Steam Straightener – Overall Best
- 2. Magicfly Professional Salon Steam Flat Iron Hair Straightener– Best For 4C Hair
- 3. DORISILK Steam Straightener – Best Budget Steam Flat Iron
- 4. L'Oreal Professional Steampod Steam Straightener – Best for Travel Steam Flat Iron
- 5. Solofish Professional Hair Salon Steam Styler – Best in Saving Time Steam Flat Iron
- What Should A Professional Steam Flat Iron Contain?
- The Steam Flat Iron Or The Regular One – Which Is Better?
- Steps On How To Use A Steam Flat Iron Correctly
- Frequently Asked Questions
Five Best Steam Flat Irons Review
1. MKBOO Professional Steam Straightener – Overall Best
MKBOO is a beauty brand that produces quality hair tools, including straighteners and curlers. The MKBOO straightener is made of floating ceramic-titanium plates alongside 3D combs that give the hair a silky look and feel.
This steam hair straightener carries a large water tank with a 40ml capacity, that reduces incessant refilling during usage. And for safety, it shuts off automatically after 60 minutes of inactivity.
Furthermore, the 1.250-inch plate of the MKBOO is suitable for most hair types, including long, medium, to short hair. You could also cut faux bangs with it without screwing up. Also, the plate’s size can help maintain optimal heat and moisture distribution, thus preventing hair damage.
Finally, it sports five adjustable heat levels, making it great for people with thick and curly hair.
- High-quality nano-titanium ceramic plates that prevent hair damage.
- Large water tank to prevent constant refilling during usage.
- It is the best steam flat iron for 4c hair.
- Auto switch-off.
- Multiple heat adjustments make it suitable for all hair types.
- It is cost-effective.
- Bulky weight.
- Poor product design.
Suppose you are looking for a cost-effective, high-quality straightener suitable for all hair types. In that case, you should go for an MKBOO hair straightener. It is the best steam flat iron for black hair. Thus, giving you the salon-like feeling.
2. Magicfly Professional Salon Steam Flat Iron Hair Straightener– Best For 4C Hair
Magicfly Professional Salon Steam Flat Iron Hair Straightener is specially designed with ceramic tourmaline plates and innovative vapor technology. This helps to achieve beautiful results much faster. This newest steam function allows the tank to be filled easily with water and oil-free hair products. This will help add moisture and gloss to the hair.
If you’re absentminded like I get at times, this straightener’s auto shut-off feature has got you covered. Also, the Magicfly steam flat iron works exceptionally on wet hair.
But, I’d advise proceeding with it carefully to avoid any damage to your hair.
It also comes with a PTC heater, which increases its heat-up process.
- Comes with complimentary hair clips.
- Lock button to prevent uncontrolled trigger.
- 360-degree swivel cord for extra portability.
- Auto shut-off for safety.
- Variable temperature settings for versatile application.
- Not suitable for oil-based hair treatments, especially argan oil.
Suppose you have a 4c hair type and are concerned about which steam flat iron would work magic on your hair. Then, I suggest purchasing the Magicfly Professional Salon Steam Flat Iron Hair Straightener.
3. DORISILK Steam Straightener – Best Budget Steam Flat Iron
One major brand gaining market recognition is DORISILK. They are known for their beauty products such as curling iron, straighteners, combs, you name it. In a remarkable feat, their DORISILK steam straightener is one of the best value-for-the-money steam flat iron on the market.
This steam straightener has a sleek exterior with a comfortable design and functionality. It has five steam vents that supply proper steam distribution, leaving the hair shiny and smooth.
The floating 3D 1.250-inch tourmaline ceramic plates are suitable for all hair types.
It comes with six heat settings and only takes 60 seconds to heat up. A hairdresser or busy lady that just wants to breeze through would benefit from its speed heating. It also features an automatic shut-off that gives you peace of mind if you leave it idle for a set number of minutes.
- Six different temperature settings for control.
- Quick heat-up.
- Automatic switch-off feature.
- The water tank capacity is small, requiring frequent refilling during usage. However, it is adjustable.
If you are on a tight budget as regards your beauty products. Worry not, as DORISILK steam straightener is one brand that is of good quality while being affordable.
4. L'Oreal Professional Steampod Steam Straightener – Best for Travel Steam Flat Iron
L'Oreal brand has been making waves in the beauty industry for a while now. Their beauty and hair products are widely used by professional stylists, celebrities, and personal users.
And the L’Oreal Professional Steampod Steam Straightener can testify to that. Its tread comes along with a comb. The design is stunning and sleek. The plates are nano-titanium ceramic in the material, thus suitable for most hair types. It also has an extra 360-degree long rotating cord, giving a more advanced user experience.
It has three different heat temperature settings. The water tank is moderate; therefore, you don't have to refill it frequently.
The design is compact and light in weight, thus very suitable for traveling as it can fit into a small bag.
- It is light in weight.
- Moderate water tank.
- It gives a longer-lasting effect.
- It comes with an extra-long 360-degree rotating cord.
- It is costly to purchase.
Suppose you want to get a well-trusted brand, and you don't mind spending so much on a beauty product. In that case, I recommend you purchase the L'Oreal Professional Steampod Straightener. It is also best for traveling.
5. Solofish Professional Hair Salon Steam Styler – Best in Saving Time Steam Flat Iron
Our fifth spot for the best flat iron is Solofish Steam Hair Straightener. This steam straightener is designed to have two sets of advanced ceramic heaters. These heaters take less than 15 seconds to heat up, thus saving a lot of time.
It is considered safe on natural hair thus, making it the best steam flat iron for African American hair. It is also recommended for most hair types due to the six different temperature settings.
It is also very easy and simple to use even if you have never operated a steam flat iron before.
- It is excellent for damaged hair.
- It is straightforward to use.
- The two ceramic heaters.
- It also features an auto shut-off.
- It comes with a set of thermal protective gloves.
- The water tank is small.
If you are a busy working-class lady looking for the best steam flat iron to purchase, that is less time-consuming. Then, I suggest Solofish Professional Hair Salon Steam Styler.
Fun Fact: There are other available alternative means of straightening your black hair. Research on best products to straighten natural black hair to get more detailed information about them.
What Should A Professional Steam Flat Iron Contain?
Different brands of steam flat iron might have unique specifications and features. Yet, some features are a must. Here are the top six features you should look out for before making any purchase.
1. Fast Heating
Deciding to get a steam flat iron, make sure to get one with a fast-heating option. Most reputable flat irons heat up in a few seconds, which is pretty fast. You surely do not want to waste your time waiting for the flat iron to heat up.
2. Water Container Capacity
Water is needed for the flat iron to produce steam. Choosing a flat iron with little water capacity would mean you have to refill the tank during hair straightening continuously.
However, someone with short hair might not be too particular about this feature. You might be able to straighten it with a single fill of the container.
But if you have medium to long hair, curly hair, or thick hair, you should be on the lookout for a straightener with a large water container capacity. You should also not forget to consider the ease at which the water tank is accessible. You should be able to remove, refill, and fix the water tank quickly.
3. Multiple Heat Options
Each hair type has a suitable amount of heat that works best on it. Therefore, you can purchase a flat iron with suitable heat options depending on your hair type. Although most available steam flat irons have different heat options, the higher the options, the better.
For example, thin hair would require a small amount of heat; thus, a low heat setting is appropriate. But for someone with thick long hair, it would require a higher amount of heat.
4. Plate Size And Type
One crucial feature of shopping for a steam flat iron is the plate type and size. I suggest you opt for plates made with ceramic, tourmaline, or titanium material. These materials help reduce hair damage due to straightening.
Also, the size is essential. Different flat iron brands are designed with different plate sizes. If you have short, thin, and fine hair, go for flat irons with smaller, narrower plates, most preferably 1/2 inches. Then if you have long, thick hair, you should purchase steam flat irons with large and wide plates, preferably 2 inches. This would help shorten the time you spend straightening your hair.
5. Steam Vents
Steam vents are crucial as they allow vapor release. This enables the hair to be properly hydrated. Therefore, flat irons with numerous steam vents are better than their counterparts. Flat irons with multiple steam vents are perfect for curly and thick hair types. Thus, if you are of this hair type, you should be very particular about this feature when purchasing any hair straightener.
Lastly, this should be another crucial feature to consider when making any purchase of flat irons. We all have budgets regarding our beauty and hair products. All brands of steam flat irons have different prices to suit customers' needs. Therefore, it is wise you go for a high-quality steam flat iron within your budget.
The Steam Flat Iron Or The Regular One – Which Is Better?
Before the invention of steam flat irons, the traditional flat irons have long been in existence and in use. But it had its downside – it causes a lot of hair breakage and damage due to high heat application. With a steam flat iron, this problem has significantly been tackled.
Advantages Of Steam Flat Iron
- It causes minor damage to our hair as the steam helps to lock in moisture.
- The plates of steam flat irons moisturize and hydrate our hair, making it look shiny. Thus, if you hate how the regular flat iron leaves your hair looking dull, you should opt for steam flat irons.
- Its ability to moisturize the hair leaves it feeling silky, soft, and frizz-free. I indeed enjoy these benefits.
- The effects of steam flat irons are longer-lasting compared to the regular ones.
- It is also perfect for natural hair and kinky hair. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about for African Americans in doubt whether steam flat irons are best for their 4c hair because I use it too.
The Disadvantage Of Steam Flat Iron
The downside of steam flat irons is intangible. Besides that, you have to refill the water tanks frequently, you should encounter no problem using steam flat irons.
Dapper Point: If you reached this far, then you could be considering buying one of the products listed. However, if your purpose is to straighten your hair instead, then you might want to look into other product lines. Read our list and tell us what you think -- Best Flat Iron For Black Hair.
Steps On How To Use A Steam Flat Iron Correctly
People are always concerned about using steam flat irons just like regular flat irons. The answer is YES! But if you are still in doubt, this guide should help you.
Before using the steam flat irons, make sure your hair is dry and well combed. Then apply any heat-protecting product of your choice, fill the water tank of the flat iron, and you can turn on the flat iron.
- Select the heat option suitable for your hair type.
- Allow the flat iron to heat up. This should take a few seconds. Don't forget to turn on the vapor to allow the tool to create steam.
- Divide your hair into segments and start with one strand from the first segment. Slowly move the iron along the hair strand without staying on one spot for too long.
- Repeat this process till you are done with the whole hair.
Fun Fact: Using a steam flat iron is generally alright as long as you don't depend on it entirely! Besides this, men also like to achieve a natural hair care routine as much as women do! Taking care of black male hair is easy if you know what to do. Do a Google search to get you started.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Steam Flat Irons?
They are similar to the regular flat irons, just with a steam option. This steam feature helps prevent or reduce the hair damage that comes with applying heat to the hair by maintaining moisture.
Can A Steam Flat Iron Be Used on Wet Hair?
I would not advise using a steam flat iron on wet hair. This causes hair damage and frizzing. Also, adding heat to wet hair would cause bubble hair, characterized by air bubbles in the hair shaft.
Can I Use Steam Flat Irons on 4C Hair Types?
Yes! Steam flat irons can successfully straighten 4c hair types. Thus, you have nothing to worry about when purchasing this tool as an African American.
If you are still in doubt about whether you can use a steam flat iron on your type 4 hair, then I suggest you watch this video:
Can A Steam Flat Iron Be Used to Curl the Hair?
Most available steam flat irons can also curl the hair unless stated otherwise by the brand. Most of these tools have 2-in-1 features.
Purchasing a steam flat iron happens to be one good investment you can make if you love silky-looking hair. Also, if you desire a tool that produces long-lasting straightening effects and prevents hair damage, then you should go for the steam flat iron.
The MKBOO Professional Steam Straightener is what I would recommend if you are looking for the best steam flat irons for black hair. It is also suited for all hair types, hair texture, thicknesses, and lengths. Thus, you should consider getting this brand in your next beauty product shopping because it is high-quality and cost-effective.